Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Pinch Of Humility

When was the last time you headed out with nothing but cloths on you?

I can't recall the last time I did; too many years have passed since. Nowadays when I get out I always carry something on me --- at the very least a key, to make sure I would be able to get back in. My iPhone and wallet almost always join along too (in that order); the laptop when I head to work; sunglasses when I need to look particularly cool; several Kleenex tissues never hurt; a pen could come in handy; a water bottle in prudent moments. And the list grows...

How do we shuttle all these items around? We can hold them in our hands, or attempt to balance them on our heads, but these methods are somewhat limited and restrictive. Instead we typically resort to employing portable storage accessories such as pockets, pouches, purses, backpacks, and their like.

In contrast some Australian species (marsupials) don't require external storage accessories: they are naturally born equipt with built-in pouches.

You see, even this silly aspect of day to day life begs the question: is homo sapiens really the pinnacle of evolution?

Zzzzz...

4 comments:

  1. stupid Australians! since 1988, nobody wearing a pouches can expect reasonable sex life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arbinka: We hear your pain, brother. Don't give up the hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you ask so nicely, I won't...

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a small shop in Jerusalem Ben Yehuda where you can buy
    a bag to hold all of those, and guess what, you can also tighten the straps on the bottom such it will not get in the way when you slide down big rocks on your buttocks.
    Ah, and you can slide your laptop in the back compartment (this is called foreseeing the future :-)

    ReplyDelete