Tuesday, May 19, 2009

How Assholes Succeed

Several years ago we received a new VP of Engineering, who quickly turned out to be a particularly evil asshole (sorry, this is the mildest possible description of that person). Within a few months he managed to establish a regime of terror in the organization: employees were humiliated in public, nepotism prevailed, informants snitched, people were afraid to speak, etc.

[This is not an excerpt from some documentary about a totalitarian country or from a Goosebumps novella. This is a true story which took place in Corporate America circa 2001.]

So one day my next-cube neighbor turned to me and said, "We must help this VP succeed."

"Are you kidding me?", I replied, "The guy is a complete asshole. Why on earth would we make him successful?"

"You don't understand", my colleague explained patiently, "The only way to increase the distance between him and us is to get him promoted."

Zzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment