Sunday, March 22, 2009

Freedom Of Choice

Up till a year ago or so I used Herbal Essences shampoo; they had a nice and clear product line and I liked the natural scent and feel of the brand. Then one day I ran low on shampoo and headed to the local drug store. To my surprise Herbal Essences changed their marketing strategy: the shampoos were no longer labeled "for dry hair", "for oily hair", etc. Rather, the decision I faced was between "body envy", "color me happy", "drama clean", and their like.

I stood there for 10 minutes looking at the shampoo containers from all sides and angles trying to find some hidden clues giving guidance about the targeted hair type. I could visualize the smug marketing execs of Herbal Essences rubbing their hands in satisfaction as they came up with the new sophisticated naming scheme. It was then that the empowerment we have as consumers dawned on me. Yes! I will show them. I will vote with my money and shift to a different brand. And indeed just a quick glance away, right down the aisle, stood Pantene Pro V shampoos, which were clearly labeled as "for dry hair", "for oily hair", etc.

Boy, was I proud of myself that day.

Later on I found out that Herbal Essences and Pantene are both owned by Procter & Gamble.

Zzzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment